Map of China

Map of China

Friday, July 27, 2007

Saturday, July 28

Yesterday afternoon was equally as difficult. We had a great time with the remaining children who did not leave to return home until 5:00p.m. Though difficult to tell them goodbye, we are grateful for the opportunity to spend time with these amazing children.

In addition to playing games, singing with the guitar, and taking them for ice cream at McDonald's, we had time to send email and rest. After saying goodbye to the children, Preston and Katie walked David and Tia to the subway to return to their homes in Beijing. David is 19 and lives with a foster family in Beijing. He's in training school and waiting for a job. His English is very good, certainly better than our Chinese. Tia is 16 and lives with her family here as well. We've invited both of them to join us on Monday for our day of shopping at the Silk Market.

Today, I woke up early for my morning walk and trip to McDonald's for coffee. As I walked, I was sad to think about saying goodbye to the children. I arrived at McDonald's, purchased my Egg McMuffin meal, and sat alone at a table. Within minutes, a young Chinese girl (17 years old) asked if she could sit at my table and have a conversation with me to practice her English. Of course, I said yes. Then her cousin joined us. I had a wonderful time with Cactus and her cousin. They asked an assortment of questions, including the obvious one, "Why are you here in Beijing?" When I explained our work with the orphan children, they thought we were "too kind-hearted"--that gave me an opportunity to talk about our faith and why it would motivate our group to come on this trip.

They had to leave to go to English class, and they were surprised when I said I would walk with them. We're meeting again in the morning for breakfast at McDonald's. I truly enjoy these "divine appointments." Please pray for these conversations. They'll both be ready to attend university in the fall of 2008 and would love to study in the US. I would love for them to come to ACU, but they can't afford the tuition. Who knows, perhaps our Father can make that happen as well. I will also be inviting them to join us on Monday. I want them to get to know our students.

On Monday night we leave by overnight train to Xi'an. I've learned that we will be working with a private, Christian orphanage. The Chinese woman who began this orphanage is very dependent on all the support she can receive. As a private orphanage, there is no government support--the government orphanages are supported quite well. I'm impressed with the children we've met so far. Monday we'll meet 20 new children, and I'm looking forward to learning all the possibilities for helping this orphanage, both now and in the future.

I can't begin to explain to you the impact that this trip is having on me and our students. I'm thankful for your prayers, your financial assistance, and our relationship in Jesus. ~~Wayne

No comments: